Still emitting: This year could see the biggest decrease in carbon emissions ever recorded, with one forecast estimating a 5% drop from 2019 levels. With an unprecedented slowdown in global travel and transportation, Grist asks: Where is the other 95% of emissions coming from?
Travel forecast: Boeing's CEO told shareholders Monday that the company expects it will take "two to three years" for air travel to return to 2019 levels, and that commercial airlines will have different needs at that point, the Seattle Times reports.
One-two punch: Covid-19 sparked an unemployment crisis in cities around the world, but in Houston, Texas, that's not the only global force killing jobs. The New York Times reports on how the pandemic and volatile oil markets are hitting the self-proclaimed energy capital of the world.
What's in store: The coronavirus is accelerating a dramatic upheaval in the retail sector. The Atlantic speculates that this will usher in an age of monotony in the urban landscape, with post-pandemic cities dominated by the chain stores and restaurants that are able to survive the economic fallout.